Saturday, September 3, 2011

First impressions of life in 군산 시


Lotte Mart, in all it's glory
   I am now writing to you all from my apartment in Gunsan! It’s a cosy little room, complete with bed, fridge, kitchenette, TV, and a small wardrobe for my clothes. The bathroom is a good size compared to most others in these types of “one room” apartments, and there is a closet where my washing machine is stored. It is small, but one person doesn’t need that much room anyway. Since arriving, I’ve equipped my place with a fan, rice-cooker (essential in Korea), chopsticks and spoons (no forks, of course), and a few pots and pans. The location is pretty nice, being in walking distance to Lotte Mart (the Korean equivalent of a Super Wal-Mart), but there is a LOT of construction all around me, since this is a newer part of town, so I’m up early every morning. I’m conveniently located directly above “Miwon Chicken” restaurant, so if I leave my windows open at night, my room starts to smell like fried chicken…the good news is, the fried chicken smells great. The bad news is, it makes me REALLY hungry. I haven’t run downstairs yet to order any chicken, but I’m sure once cooking for myself gets old, the scent will overcome me, and Miwon Chicken will be my go-to. 
2nd floor, open window. That's me!

I moved to Gunsan on Tuesday, after my mentor teacher, Sungmoon, picked me up from orientation in Jeonju. He is so nice and very helpful, and even though he is already extremely busy and isn’t getting paid any extra money to help me, he is still putting so much effort into making sure I’m doing okay. He went shopping with me to furnish my apartment, took me to the immigration office to apply for an Alien Registration Card, and tried for over an hour to help me get a cell phone, but unfortunately I have to wait another couple of weeks for my ARC to get back before I can get one…So for now, I’m just asking people on the street for help if I get lost---Just as I did last night when trying to meet up with the other TaLK scholars in Gunsan at a Pizza Hut. I walked around for hours trying to find the place, asking random Koreans where Pizza Hut was. I definitely felt like a big fat pizza-crazy American, but I didn’t want to just give up. Finally this guy looked it up on his smart phone for me, and pointed me in the right direction.
   I started teaching at Napo Elementary on Thursday---I take 2 buses to get to the school, which is located outside of Gunsan in a farming village. I teach every day from 1:00pm to 4:00pm, but have to leave my house a little after 10:00 to get there on time (because of the timing of bus transfers), and get home around 5:00. There isn’t a bus that can take me back from Napo, so I have to wait for one of the teachers to take me home every day. The time after class and before heading home is good for studying my Korean. I wish I could remember her name right now, but this one teacher is very sweet and took me home on Thursday and Friday. She speaks very little English, and I very little Korean, so conversation is pretty limited, and relies a lot on gesturing and miming; as Sungmoon said, though, what matters the most is body language. That said, I’m doing a lot of bowing and smiling these days.
Napo Elementary School
   My students don’t know as much English as the kids we worked with at English camp during orientation, since I’m just the 2nd TaLK Scholar to come to Napo. They know some words, and a couple of kids can communicate with me, but most of them are pretty lost in class. This lack of communication has made discipline difficult, and my first two days, the kids were running around the class, hitting each other and yelling, and when I’d get one group in their seats, the other group would start running wild…and even when I spoke to them sternly, or told them to stay in their seat with their head down, they didn’t understand. This weekend I’m going to try and think of a discipline system that can work with their level of English. We’ll see! The kids are really funny though, full of energy, and once I get to know them better, I think things are going to improve.
   The only other teacher at the school that speaks any English is the P.E. teacher. All of the conversations I have with him and Sungmoon have motivated me to study Korean a little harder. They both put so much effort in trying to effectively communicate with me, that I wish I could do the same for them in their language. The disconnect results some pretty funny conversations. After lunch on Friday, I was sitting in the Teacher’s Room with the P.E. teacher, and he looked up at me and said “You look very…strong.” I responded, chuckling to myself, “Oh…really?” He said “Yes. It is true?” I wasn’t exactly sure how to respond to that one.  On another occasion, after I asked Sungmoon about my Korean Co-scholar, he said “Your co-teacher. He is mad.” I became a bit worried, wondering if I had done something wrong already, before I’d even met him. Then, Sungmoon corrected himself, saying “Oh, no. Your co-teacher is a man.” Man, not mad. Phewf. Though, I still haven’t seen hide nor hair of this “man,” so there is no telling if he really does exist. Maybe I’ll meet him this week, and he can help me discipline my class…I can only hope.

Bridge on Eunpa Lake
   I spent last night and most of today walking around Gunsan and exploring my area a bit more. I always feel more comfortable in a place once I’ve walked around, gotten lost, found my way back, and walked around some more. Last night was the great Pizza Hut fiasco, and today was Eunpa Lake. I looked at a rough map that I found online, and ended up finding the lake without any problems. It was about a 30 minute walk from my house to get to the lake, and once I got there, I realized there was a path that goes all the way around. It seems like a pretty cool place to hang out---lots of families with little kids splashing in the water, couples sitting on benches, and old men walking around arm in arm, as many do here in Korea. I think it’s pretty cute.
Living alone has been quite a change from living with 300 other foreigners during orientation. I’ve found that it only gets lonely if I don’t keep busy, or if I stay inside for too long. Today I was walking around the town for most of the day, returning waves to Korean people who yelled “HELLO!!!!” at me on the streets, and high-fiving babies when their parents held them up to me and said “high five-uh!” with the biggest smile on the face. A man did this with his baby in Lotte Mart today, and the little girl just stared at me. I tried to inch away, but the man inched towards me, smiling ever wider, because I guess he really wanted his baby to get that high five. In the end the kid ended up crying and turning away from me, and I made my escape. I guess my very non-Korean features were too much for her to handle. 
Eunpa Lake
Tomorrow I’m going work on some lesson plans for this week, and try to memorize my students’ English and Korean names. I really like my school so far, and I think that I’m going to have a good amount of freedom with my lessons, which is exciting. Once I settle in a bit, and get to know the rest of the staff (despite the language barrier), and get my kids under control, I think things will be just peachy.  

Flowers by the lake

1 comment:

  1. Your writing makes me feel as if I am there with you so keep at it.

    As for discipline without language, I learned in the early years doing Honduran Bible school, that a stern eye needs no translator. Try to develop and no nonsense stare. I've made 13 year old boys twitch without ever speaking a word. Good luck and keep writing.

    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete